Common examples of film containing/being contained by still photography
would include (spoiler alert) Wavelength's reduction of film to a still
photograph in its final minutes (mirroring the still images on the film
strip), and Morgan Fisher's Production Stills, which photo-documents its
own making. Also check David MacDougall's Photo-Wallahs. Malcolm LeGrice's
performance of After Leonardo 73-13 at Eyebeam last November centered on
multiple (live) video reproductions of a magazine reproduction of the Mona
Lisa. Warhol's Screen Tests are filmic meditations on an (ostensibly)
unmoving subject per still photography portraiture. Scott Stark's Angel
Beach and Posers, as well. Too many others to mention!

Warhol's Outer and Inner Space is a classic film/video merger.

Many of Yoko Ono's film scripts cannot necessarily be realized as films and
must be performed rather than filmed.

A recent Contraband Cinema show here in Atlanta presented some newer
VCR-derived digital work:
http://contrabandcinema.com/400/broken-beauty-a-show-on-glitch-march-22-2014.html

Andy Ditzler
www.filmlove.org
www.johnq.org
Graduate Institute of the Liberal Arts, Emory University