I'm not an Avid expert, but I know they typically use proprietary codecs. What
container were they in? AVI?

If QT can't play the files, that could either be an issue with the codec per
se, or your Mac not being equipped with the extra widgets needed to handle the
headers of PC-based containers.

All H.264 encoding software is not created equal. Use x264, which is freeware
available as a stand-alone plug-in that works with stuff like MPEG Streamclip,
and also comes built-in with recent versions of Handbrake (also freeware).
There are more tweaks available in the interface than Carter has pills. I've
never had any odd color or contrast problems using the presets (since the
individual setting parameters are mostly WAY over my head), but if you did get
results you don't like, you could probably find a setting that would do the
trick if you got under the hood far enough.

Anyway, as Aaron said, the problem may be the playback software, not the files
you've generated themselves. I agree with Aaron that H.264 is usually the best
thing to send out, if only due to file size. For shorter pieces, I'd use ProRes
if the venue accepts it. For the H.264, I recommend putting it in an .mp4
container, as that's more universal than .mov .avi .mkv etc. etc.