I would say the real issues with the LCD projectors are the poorer grey
scale (lack of shadow detail and ease of blowing out highlights) and the
short lifetime of the LCD itself.  The LCD projectors seem only to last
a couple years before the LCD gets to the point where the blacks are
hardly black at all and the element needs replacing.

The issues with brightness, lens configurations, lamp life aren't so much
a matter of DLP vs. LCD but a matter of comparing cheap projectors with
expensive ones.

And I agree with the earlier point that the single-chip DLP projectors and
the 3-chip ones are different animals entirely.  In a perfect world, the
venue would have a theatrical-grade 3-chip projector that has been set up
and aligned properly for the room (and screen masking that is aligned for
the projector if you're very lucky), the required 16 to 24 fl. above ambient
lighting, and the filmmaker would not have to be worrying about the projector
at all.
--scott