Gummo and Withnail and I have cats in them, albeit briefly.

Nicky

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Mudie <peter.mu...@uwa.edu.au>
To: Experimental Film Discussion List <frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>
Sent: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 5:48
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] cat films

It's an odd question, really - looking for films with/about cats. If you
get onto YouTube and type in a search for 'cats', 'wacky cats' and/or
'awesome cats' you will find something around 2 billion choices to build
your exhibition around - none of them worthwhile. Do a search (with the
same criteria) for 'chipmunks' or 'hamsters' and you'll find less, but
about as discerning as the 'wacky cats' list. Any exhibition that results
from a deep curatorial insight about cats will probably leave you in the
same zone as all the YouTube ones.

If someone asked me what my favourite film was that had a cat within it -
that is, different from 'a hard-boiled cheap detective getting away from
the grips of a femme fatale' or 'a Joe-Bob Mr America saves the world from
certain destruction' scope of subjects (which I guess isn't all that
dissimilar to 'wacky chipmunk' or 'look what a hamster can fit in his
mouth' videos) - I would have to say Nightcats (by Brakhage).

Peter
(Perth)