Thanks very much to all of you for your quick and helpful replies. I use both
Mac and PC, so I’ll try Nicky’s suggestion and a PC app to compare ease of use.
If I had stopped to think for two seconds I would have realized it’s all
digital. I was thinking about compression. I assume these rippers don’t add
further compression to already compressed DVDs (which Pip has maintained are
inferior to VHS). On my PC I use a copying program called “1-Click DVD Pro,”
which copies DVDs and Blu-ray without compression, but it only outputs to
another DVD, which is all I have wanted to do until now.  Thanks again.