From: Jason Halprin <jihalp...@gmail.com>
To: Experimental Film Discussion List <frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>
Sent: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 20:11
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] advice on Europen film labs

Marco,

Not to be a buzzkill, but its likely that you'll already have some variability
if some of your film has been sitting around a few years after shooting it.
Letting film sit after exposure will usually cause fogging, though it may not
necessarily create a look that is displeasing to you. This would mean that the
fogging levels on your film would vary depending on just how long it has been
since shooting, and how they've been stored since.

That being said, if you've been shooting negative film, there's not too much to
worry about from a reputable lab (which both DeJonghe and Andec are). Even if
the development causes slight shifts in density and/or color balance, this can
be worked out in printing or scanning (depending on your workflow). You'd be
better off getting it all in at once so that it has a consistent look
throughout. Everyone I know who has sent enough films to labs has a story of a
batch getting damaged or not processed perfectly, but this is the exception
rather than the norm.

Of course, if you're shooting reversal, you'd also want to get it all in
together for a consistent look, even though corrections can't be made unless
you're scanning and/or creating an internegative for later.

-Jason Halprin

Jason Halprin
jihalp...@gmail.com