Matt:

I doubt you'll find good models at other schools. In my travels, college sound
facilities have either been created from the ground up as part of an expensive
building project, or jury rigged into some existing space so cheaply and poorly
they're barely worth having. If you can find any schools that have gone a DIY
route, they'll probably be useful mostly in telling you what NOT to do.

I've have experience with some small pre-fab booths, and they all stunk. Also,
they are designed as essentially the opposite of what you want: the idea being
the talent goes into the booth to do a VO.

To get anything functional, you're going to need a custom constructed studio
booth designed to fit the room. The materials with need to be custom cut, and
the booth will likely need to be constructed mostly in the room, rather than
making larger sections in another location and assembling them in the space.

I would guess you could hire a contractor who specializes in sound booth
construction to create something for you, but i'd also guess the cost would be
prohibitive. There are any number of books that lay out principles and methods
for DIY booth construction. Perhaps you could work with the college's physical
plant to design and build something 'yourself' (that is, within the college).

I would guess what you can accomplish will depend on how much time you (Matt)
can put into it. That would be an advantage your program has over most small
college film programs: your labor, knowledge and commitment to getting it
right..

Since it's an educational facility it doesn't have to look nice to impress
clients, it just has to be functional. Whatever you save on aesthetics, do not
scrimp on basic functionality. You'll need a serious double pane glass sound
isolating window, serious sound seals on the door(s). The trick is the sound
isolation of the booth. It's ideally a six-sided double-walled room within the
classroom, with the bottom decoupled from the classroom floor, and the inner
and outer wall of the booth decoupled...

There are a number of books, and maybe even some plans on the web. I have no
familiarity with any of them. This one was recommended:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/home-recording-studio-rod-gervais/1100355128?ean=9781435457171

I'd probably do plenty of research, check several books, before making any
plans.

Other things that are not going to be cheap: A classroom probably has
old-school tube fluorescent overhead lighting which will have to be replaced.
LED lamps probably, but I don't know if they have counter-EMF issues. You'll
probably have to isolate the stage part of the room from the buildings
ventilation and heating system, as that's likely to go on and off at will and
generate too much noise. Then you'll need a way to ventilate the booth, as it
will be a sealed space and the equipment in it will generate heat. Finally,
classrooms have a shit-ton of echo and you'll need serious sound deadening
treatments for the walls and ceiling.

In short, it's a major project, and if you can't do it right, it's probably not
worth doing at all.