I wish it were the case when I was a student there, mid 1980s.
I never went to the Visual Studies Workshop because it was downtown, far from campus. Although the University was heavily sponsored by George Eastman (and he founded the Eastman School of Music to teach film scoring), film studies was part of the English department and was not a serious major. I did take a class at George Eastman House and got to see some nitrate prints the last time they were ever projected. The Film Studies Center had 16mm prints of some experimental films (Meshes of the Afternoon, Spacy, Wavelength...) but you could only see them by booking time in a small viewing room that seated 3 or 4 people. Constance Penley's avant-garde film class was a breakthrough. She rented a lot of prints from NYFMC and MoMA. The Cinema Group did show of a lot of great films but only mainstream films (with a few bizarre exceptions such as Cafe Flesh). I see from their website that it's the same today. It's great that they still project 35mm in double system. They never took the initiative to start an experimental screening series. However we did establish our own Filmmaking Club at that time to create super-8 experiments, and we had a good turnout to our screenings.
Pip




At 18:32 -0500 18/12/14, Tara wrote:
I agree with Jason! University of Rochester has a fantastic screening series and a very nice auditorium for showing films. We really enjoy working together.
As I said, this is a great town for experimental filmmakers.
Tara


_______________________________________________
FrameWorks mailing list
[email protected]
https://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/frameworks

Reply via email to