Dear Frameworks readers,

I'm a university student in Denmark who's currently researching on
experimental film for a project application, and I was hoping some of you
might have some recommendations for contemporary works.

Right now I'm trying to trace some classic "genres" or "forms" to
contemporary times to see how their technique and technology have expanded
and how the forms have developed.

So far I have been looking at the hand-painted film and how it has been
expanded by optical printing (for example in the late Stan Brakhage's
collaborations with Sam Bush) and other kinds of re-photographing (for
example Stephanie Maxwell's working process).

Another interest has been Jodie Mack whose work with animating textiles I
link to the "hyper-animation" principle behind Robert Breer's "Eye Wash",
but which also draws on graphic design, theory of ornament and more.

Anyway, there are two more "forms" where I was hoping some of you could
recommend some contemporary films that work in and explore these traditions.

The first is the sort of "atomized animation" form that is known from James
Whitney's "Yantra" and "Lapis" (and to some extent Jordan Belson's
"Allures"). What I mean by that is works where the image is atomized into
some sort of "particles" that move through regular mathetical paths and
result in shape-shifting patterns. The important thing is that the
particles shift between order and disorder within seconds, while
maintaining a sense of mathematical system "below" them.
I know that Wiley Wiggins has made some Whitney-inspired animations (for
example one called "Catalog" - https://vimeo.com/13882251 ) but I was
wondering who else is out there.

The other "form" is the classical Brakhage style where the screen provides
a continuous synthesis of images where different 'realms' are juxtaposed
and transcended - for example the micro- and macro-scopic, the inside and
outside of an object, different material status (photographed,
hand-painted, computer-generated, or others, and these in combination), and
so on. This form is related to what Youngblood calls "syncretism" in
"Expanded Cinema". The latest example I could find of this was Brakhage's
"Yggdrasil" (1997) but I was hoping to find some later works, perhaps even
by younger generations of filmmakers.

Just to specify, by "comtemporary" I mean works produced in this century,
and I'm hoping to find films that have their own artistic vision with the
form rather than just making tributes.

All help will be appreciated :)

Best regards,
Kasper