From: Kasper Lauritzen
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2015 12:26 PM
To: frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com
Subject: [Frameworks] Contemporary films in James Whitney or
Syncretismtradition?

Dear Frameworks readers,

I'm a university student in Denmark who's currently researching on experimental
film for a project application, and I was hoping some of you might have some
recommendations for contemporary works.

Right now I'm trying to trace some classic "genres" or "forms" to contemporary
times to see how their technique and technology have expanded and how the forms
have developed.

So far I have been looking at the hand-painted film and how it has been
expanded by optical printing (for example in the late Stan Brakhage's
collaborations with Sam Bush) and other kinds of re-photographing (for example
Stephanie Maxwell's working process).

Another interest has been Jodie Mack whose work with animating textiles I link
to the "hyper-animation" principle behind Robert Breer's "Eye Wash", but which
also draws on graphic design, theory of ornament and more.

Anyway, there are two more "forms" where I was hoping some of you could
recommend some contemporary films that work in and explore these traditions.

The first is the sort of "atomized animation" form that is known from James
Whitney's "Yantra" and "Lapis" (and to some extent Jordan Belson's "Allures").
What I mean by that is works where the image is atomized into some sort of
"particles" that move through regular mathetical paths and result in
shape-shifting patterns. The important thing is that the particles shift
between order and disorder within seconds, while maintaining a sense of
mathematical system "below" them.
I know that Wiley Wiggins has made some Whitney-inspired animations (for
example one called "Catalog" - https://vimeo.com/13882251 ) but I was wondering
who else is out there.

The other "form" is the classical Brakhage style where the screen provides a
continuous synthesis of images where different 'realms' are juxtaposed and
transcended - for example the micro- and macro-scopic, the inside and outside
of an object, different material status (photographed, hand-painted,
computer-generated, or others, and these in combination), and so on. This form
is related to what Youngblood calls "syncretism" in "Expanded Cinema". The
latest example I could find of this was Brakhage's "Yggdrasil" (1997) but I was
hoping to find some later works, perhaps even by younger generations of
filmmakers.

Just to specify, by "comtemporary" I mean works produced in this century, and
I'm hoping to find films that have their own artistic vision with the form
rather than just making tributes.

All help will be appreciated :)

Best regards,
Kasper