I was born and have lived most of my life in a 3rd world country and I will
tell you that I have never seen a documentary film about it (of any kind)
that tells me anything about it that is interesting or valid. That applies
to films made by natives or foreigners. Cinema is a very poor medium for
such discussions. It was made for delirium. I would rather watch any
fiction film about my country, even the most formula Hollywoiod fare, over
any ethnographic documentary about it. At least I know the Hollywood bias
from the get go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfAuPXpu1TI