I strongly agree with Pip's suggestion to get authorization. If it's for a serious academic book you should want, and surely the filmmakers would want, a good selection of high quality images to represent the films. Disney is one thing, but if you're talking about avant-garde filmmakers, I doubt they would be charging "exorbitant fees". Using the example of Brakhage films, I don't end up making any money from stills when all is said and done, but do collect some small fees -- most of which goes (usually) to Fred Camper for the work he does in providing them. However, we also sometimes waive fees, depending on circumstances. My concern in the matter of film stills is not making money, but having the films reasonably well represented. I'm sure others would feel likewise about their films.

Marilyn Brakhage