#1 isn¹t true but the rest are.

Fair Use for critical commentary is a real thing, at least in the United
States, for US-originated publications.  (Copyright law is different from
country to country, although the US & Europe at least have been working to
sync up their laws.)
Just because artists or distributors or film studios don¹t want it to be
doesn¹t mean it isn¹t; to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever sued on
that point and won, as they know that a more likely result would be that
they would lose.

In addition, something is never plagiarism if it is credited.  (It might be
other things, but not ³plagiarism².)  And an image to illustrate a point
that you are making in an academic context also isn¹t ³plagiarism².

However, using an image without permission for advertising or marketing is
not fair use.  You can¹t use it on the cover of a book or in an ad without
full permission.

But the other reasons are more then good enough to ask permission from the
artist.  It¹s also good form, and to let someone know that their work is
being discussed, which might lead to some publicity, and good dialogue.  And
most people in my experience do let you use it for free.

Best regards,

Adam
(I also have extensive experience doing rights & clearance work for a
living)