I think that you could talk about Chris Welsby, and specifically the manner in
which the camera is allowed to interact with the environment as found in Wind
Vane 1972.

Very differently, you could speak of Robert Smithson’s Spiral Jetty, in the
broad terms of the work, which is a composite of the dirt and rocks placed into
the Utah landscape, but also the film, and the photo-documentation, and the
essay he wrote.  The work should be understood more as geological time than in
a human-scaled temporality.

Please share the list you settle upon when it is complete, I think many will be
curious.

Damon Stanek
Minneapolis College of Art and Design