Dear all,

I would appreciate any suggestions of films and videos using collage
structure in the context of political work. I'm thinking of a great
video by the Brazilian artist Tadeu Jungle, Herois da Decadensia (1987),
which incorporates parallel tracks of political documentary,
street performance art, Surrealist-inspired imagery, and other items.
Though its elements are wildly divergent, it coheres into a kind of
"collage narrative." It struck me that Makaveyev's WR: Mysteries of the
Organism and Sweet Movie both work in this fashion, as does Rivette's Out
1, with its parallel conspiracy narrative and documentary footage of
theater groups in rehearsal.

Can anyone think of other work in this mode? Works that cut between
divergent events and sections, to create a whole? I'm especially interested
in knowing of short works, but anything that comes to mind would be useful.
I've always been fascinated by this kind of work.

I'm thinking of this "genre" as distinct from the found footage collage
tradition exemplified by Bruce Conner's A MOVIE, since the above works were
all shot by the filmmakers. Nevertheless, suggestions that frustrate this
divide are also welcome. Many thanks.

Best,

Andy Ditzler
Founder and curator, Film Love: www.filmlove.org