> I'm writing about the use of 16mm in experimental filmmaking of the 1970s and
> am looking for texts that deal with the history of film technology, scholarly
> sources that look, for example, at the emergence of 16mm as an
> amateur/documentary/artists' medium.

Hmm. If we distinguish 'amateurs' from 'artists' 16mm emerged as an amateur
medium decades before the 70s, and was all but submerged for amateurs by the
70s, in favor of Super-8. You'd be hard pressed to find any artists who worked
with the 'amateur' 16mm cameras that were made at least through the 1950s:
Kodak K100, B+H 240, Reveres… and only spare use of 'amateur' Kodachrome and
Ektachrome stocks that didn't come back from the lab with edge numbers.

The history of documentary tech is a whole 'nother creature -- all 16mm up to
the 70s -- but marked by advances in blipping, sound sync, battery power,
coaxial magazines, reflex finders, etc. etc. (I have an AC-power only
Yoder-style chop-top in my closet, if anyone wants one…). Only in the 70s did
portable video emerge as a documentary medium, e.g. in the ½" open-reel 'Four
More Years' by TVTV.

Experimental filmmaking was not articulated to 'amateur' filmmaking as much as
industrial/educational filmmaking. Experimental filmmaking was dependent on the
wide availability of cameras, projectors, stocks, labs etc. primarily used by
the 'A/V' market. Once that market moved to video, those sources began to dry
up, posing ever-increasing difficulties to photo-chemical experimental work. A
tech history of experimental film in the 70s should also look at it's
intersections/oppositions to technologies used in 'video art', e.g. in Scott
Bartlett's 'Off/On', and computer graphics, e.g. John Whitney.

All that said, for the history of 'amateur' film, it would be remiss not to
mention the work of FRAMEWORKER Patti Zimmerman, noted on the CHM site Buck
linked.