In his introduction to his most recent book, The Cinema of Poetry, P. Adams
Sitney describes his access to the original recording in preparation for
editing a volume of Film Culture:

“… above all the text of the Cinema 16 round table. Amos Vogel has allowed me
to borrow the precious wire recordings for one night. I typed and edited the
first of the two sessions into one as I was listening to it. (My hasty amateur
transcription contains several errors. The symposium as a whole can now be
heard on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA-yzqykwcQ
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA-yzqykwcQ>.)”

> On Jul 15, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Ken Eisenstein <ken7...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> not complete,
> but a chunk,
> perhaps the same exact chunk as in Film Culture,
> is in MacDonald's Cinema 16
> pp.202-212
>
> "The following excerpts make up about one half of the symposium.
> Ideas repeated for the second audience and personal introductions
> of the panel make up, for the most part, the missing half." - SM
>
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Jonathan Walley <wall...@denison.edu
> <mailto:wall...@denison.edu>> wrote:
> Hi Ken, and gang,
>
> There are a few copies of this floating around online. I found this:
> http://coronagraph.pastelegram.org/Poetry-and-the-Film-A-Symposium
> <http://coronagraph.pastelegram.org/Poetry-and-the-Film-A-Symposium>
>
> You’ll see that it’s actually called “Poetry and THE Film” (back in the day
> they loved to put “the” in from of film, usually when they meant something
> like “film as an art form”). And then there’s this, which is amazing:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA-yzqykwcQ
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA-yzqykwcQ>
>
> Sadly, though perhaps not surprisingly, Dylan Thomas and Arthur Miller come
> off as jackasses, especially in their plainly misogynistic responses to Maya
> Deren. Happily, and not at all surprisingly, Deren speaks brilliantly and
> brushes them off. As I read it, she makes them look stupid, but I’m not sure
> that would have been the response of a contemporaneous reader/listener. The
> start of Deren’s statement in the middle of page 178 (this is from Sitney’s
> Film Culture Reader) is particularly awesome.
>
> Anyway, enjoy!
> Best,
> Jonathan
>

> Dr. Jonathan Walley
> Associate Professor and Chair
> Department of Cinema
> Denison University
> wall...@denison.edu <mailto:wall...@denison.edu>
>

>> On Jul 15, 2016, at 7:17 AM, Ken Paul Rosenthal
>> <kenpaulrosent...@hotmail.com <mailto:kenpaulrosent...@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I've been poking around online for a complete transcription of the Cinema 16
>> "Poetry and Film: A Symposium" from October 28, 1953, but cannot find it.
>> Any leads out there?
>>
>> Thanks, Ken
>>  <http://www.kenpaulrosenthal.com/>www.kenpaulrosenthal.com
>> <http://www.kenpaulrosenthal.com/>
>> www.whisperrapture.com <http://www.whisperrapture.com/>
>> www.maddancementalhealthfilmtrilogy.com
>> <http://www.maddancementalhealthfilmtrilogy.com/>

Michael Zryd • Associate Professor
Department of Cinema & Media Arts
School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design

Associate Dean Academic, Faculty of Graduate Studies

YORK UNIVERSITY
York Lanes 230 • 4700 Keele Street
Toronto ON • Canada M3J 1P3
T 416.736.2100 x66957 / cell: 647-430-8680 / Skype: mjpzryd
z...@yorku.ca <mailto:z...@yorku.ca> •
http://cma.ampd.yorku.ca/profile/michael-zryd/
<http://cma.ampd.yorku.ca/profile/michael-zryd/> • ampd.yorku.ca
<http://ampd.yorku.ca/>

York University, one of 2015 Canada’s Greenest Employers

This electronic mail (e-mail), including any attachments, is intended only for
the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure. No waiver of privilege,
confidentiality or any other protection is intended by virtue of its
communication by the internet. Any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, or are not
named as a recipient, please immediately notify the sender and destroy all
copies of it.