With the dichromate bleach, I mix it with the exhausted developer prior to any
disposal; this converts it from the hexavalent chromium(VI) ion, which is very
water soluble and highly toxic, to the trivalent chromium(III) ion which is
insoluble and while toxic, is much less harmful. The alkalinity of the
developer also neutralizes the acid and I use a pH strip to confirm.

-Jesse-