Older (older than 2012, that is) LCD projectors often had problems with
monochrome images… But with a 2012 Epson and the problem you describe, my guess
is that it needs service. Does it look OK with a cool image? (If you look
carefully can you see any color issues on the edges?) Does you host have any
other projectors you can compare by projecting your B&W file? If, for example,
they have another identical or similar Epson, that should tell the tale of
whether the edge lines are generic to the projector model, or the result of a
fault with the specific unit they gave you.