> If you're seeing lines on the edges of the frame, I'd wonder also if the
> blacks aren't really very black at all.

Careful there, though, Scott. You’re not going to get black blacks out of any
brand new ‘affordable’ video projector.

I have an Epson VS335W, which I bought in 2014 (~$525 at the time), which I’d
guess would be similar to what Shumona’s host have provided for her
installation. There’s no condition where a black projected frame does NOT
appear gray in comparison to the ‘black’ of the rest of the screen in a
darkened room. That’s just how most video projection is. That said, I’m quite
happy with the image overall, considering what it cost. And I’ve never seen it
produce those disconcerting edge color effects Shumona describes.

As you’d expect from a projector in this range, the VS335W has menu controls
for Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, and Tint. The Brightness control, more or
less Black Level, is basically useless. Boost it all, the image washes out.
Drop it at all, it just all gets dark. What does affect apparent brightness is
the Contrast setting (sometimes labeled ‘Picture’ on other devices). If the
image seems ‘weak’ that’s what gets cranked up. It’s a ‘usable’ control though,
in that small changes aren’t too dramatic, and different folks could diasgree
on what setting looks best for any given material and environment.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if any projector Shumona might obtain produces
some white blow out at any setting usable in an installation environment. But
it shouldn’t be too much: the sort of thing that would be obvious and
distracting to the museum/gallery public. They’re not image purists, and
they’re probably fine with things that would make you or me cringe or scream.
Video installations in museums are in dark projection rooms sometimes, but
other times out in more open gallery space which, even made as dim as possible,
still has a fair amount of ambient light. Even for shows of celebrated artists
at prestige museums — where you know they have the budget for higher end gear —
I’ve never seen projection in that kind of installation I considered any better
than ersatz for any work that was intended for conventional projection (as
opposed to something more ‘sculptural’, integrated with other physical elements
of the installation). I mean, i might find it too painfully to even look at,
but the other visitors would be stopping, watching, commenting on the content…

So, “it is what it is”, and that’s probably okay, IF the projector isn’t total
garbage, and IF it’s working properly, and IF the settings are tweaked for the
best, considering the particulars...