Seth -

Jeff Guess in Paris has made the best stills from films for us in Paris (for Light Cone, Re:Voir, Pompidou...). He uses a slide duplicator like this: http://cresimaging.com/2550.html but maybe a different brand. He used to make us 35mm slides, which we would get drum scanned professionally, but now he uses a digital camera and gives us high resolution digital stills. The stills show two frames of 35mm, three frames of 16mm or eight frames of super-8. He cut his own cardboard mounts to fit the strips in the slide area. He put rewinds around the machine so no need to cut strips to make stills. The light table at the base of the machine flashes at the moment of camera exposure so the light, color and contrast are perfect. Here are some examples of stills he made for me. (I can send you more photo-realist examples if you want).

http://www.re-voir.com/pip/piltzer1.jpg
http://www.re-voir.com/pip/piltzer3.jpg
http://www.re-voir.com/pip/pip1.jpg
http://www.re-voir.com/pip/pip4.jpg

Now that films can be easily scanned in 2K, any video still will work as a frame enlargement, so maybe also ask the filmmakers if they have done that.

Good luck!
Pip Chodorov