Seth,
Contact me off list.
I may be able to help.
Sherman George
sgeo...@ucsd.edu<mailto:sgeo...@ucsd.edu>
858-229-4368

On Aug 31, 2017, at 7:29 PM, Seth Mitter
<seth.mit...@gmail.com<mailto:seth.mit...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Dear Frameworks,

I'm working on a project with Canyon Cinema to create a frame enlargement setup
in-house to create high resolution digital images from 16mm prints (both single
frames and frame sequences). I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has experience
or expertise in creating a setup that produced excellent digital images for
large format printing. Capability to focus and resolve grain in 16mm prints is
critical, as well as producing files equivalent to 4K pixel dimensions (or
higher).

As an example I've recently been impressed by the quality of the Peter Hutton
Film Stills exhibited at Shoshanna Wayne Gallery:
http://shoshanawayne.com/peter-hutton-film-stills/43inytqgn0w6pule0fc1clu8xltuwg
(if anyone knows who worked on producing these enlargements I'd love to get in
contact).

I'm aware of methods using consumer flatbed document scanners but have never
been satisfied with results. I've heard of (but never tried) using special 16mm
dimension slide duplicator mounts for 35mm slr cameras - I imagine this only
worked for single frame enlargements, not frame sequences. Buying a 4k films
scanner definitely isn't in the budget either.

Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated.

-Seth