Hi Ben,

My 16mm films all used voiceover with women’s voices prominent.  The most
ambitious, and definitely off the radar, is:

WATERSCAPE: ILLUSIONS, 52 minutes, an essay film that meditates on illusion and
reality in both myth making and filmmaking in the context of shooting a film on
a “wilderness” lake with swans.  The principal voices are all women:  the
filmmaker whose shooting diary provides narration of events and thoughts, a
scholar on swan symbolism, and three young girls trading fairy tales and a
poem.  If you would like a link, please contact me off list.

Other films with women in voiceover that come to mind, but in no way represent
a comprehensive list are:

Marguerite Duras films:  especially INDIA SONG and her short film CESAREE with
a woman’s voice describing the ruined city of Cesaree (Caesarea) over images of
the Tuileries and Paris.

Some films preserved by the Women’s Film Preservation Fund of NYWIFT:

MAKE OUT, 1970, a narrative short showing a couple in a romantic moment with a
woman’s voice expressing what she is feeling.  The film made by the Newsreel
Collective was conceived by Geri Ashur, who co-directed, (with Peter
Schlaifer), the filming of the actors. The voice-over script was created
collectively by Ashur, Andrea Eagan, Marcia Salo Rizzi, Deborah Shaffer and a
few other women, and was taken from thetranscript of their "conscious-raising
group" discussions.

SISTERS!, 1973, Barbara Hammer, director, with the voices of Hammer and Kate
Millet.  The film begins with a woman’s voice declaring: “I had a dream of
women where men used to be: building, working, growing strong, building their
bodies into strength for self-defense.” This film collage is a celebration of
lesbians.

ALL WOMEN ARE EQUAL, Marguerite Paris.  This may be a stretch because it’s a
documentary about a male to female transvestite, Paula, whose voice taken from
an interview out of synch with filmed images of her in her apartment.

And one more addition:
HAIR PIECE, A FILM FOR NAPPY-HEADED PEOPLE, 1985, Ayoka Chenzira, director, an
animated film about Black women coping with expectations about their
hairstyles.  (available through Women Make Movies)

ANN

Ann Deborah Levy
filmmaker: www.resonantimages.com
and
Co-Chair, Women’s Film Preservation Fund of NYWIFT:
www.womensfilmpreservationfund.org