I didn't attend film school, but art school in the 70s. The male teachers
were all dating their students. I'll admit I slept with my painting
teacher, not to get a good grade because I was the best painter in the
class... just because. At first he asked me what grade I wanted. Then when
we began to fight he flunked me. This is the main reason I don't have a
degree in art. Don't think the silence you're hearing from women on this
list is because we have nothing to say.

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Evan Greene <evan.michael.gre...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Fred,
>
> As a young person just beginning to venture into the experimental film
> world I find your unwillingness to name names rather troublesome. Your
> writing in the past year has been an invaluable resource for me. But
> knowingly letting these disgusting people and their art continue to garner
> the recognition and prestige it does, I think is wrong. History demands to
> be rewritten. Space made for the marginalized. If you do kno some of the
> greatest experimental filmmakers who did these things I would hope that you
> would share it. I think itโ€™s important information in regards to
> writing/talking about and seeing their work in the future. Especially in
> experimental filmmaking where much of the content is personal.
>
> ๐Ÿ˜Ž
>
> On Nov 24, 2017, at 6:37 PM, Cecilia Dougherty <
> cecilia.doughe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you!
>
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 4:34 PM Fred Camper <f...@fredcamper.com> wrote:
>
>> Amazing, but unfortunately not that big of a surprise. It supports my
>> point that no group should feel holier than thou, or immune from all the
>> badness. (Take, for example, priests, oh, wait, let's not...)
>>
>> I have to admit I do not understand the psychology at work here -- what
>> pleasure could any male get out of such behavior? I will say with virtual
>> certainty that nothing that you did "prompted" him. I guess we humans are
>> all different, and not always in good ways.
>>
>> Thanks for speaking up.
>> Fred Camper
>> Chicago
>>

>> On 11/24/2017 11:17 AM, Kate Ewald wrote:
>>
>> I will give an anecdote about this very listserv: I was very severely
>> sexually harassed as a college student posting about a film screening in
>> 2008.  It was for a well-known experimental filmmaker.  The response to my
>> post involved "oh, you don't know what you're talking about and I bet you
>> can shut up and stick a dick in your mouth."  This persisted for several
>> posts (becoming increasingly graphic), some just to me, some to the whole
>> list - I'm not sure what prompted such a reaction from this stranger.
>> Scott was kind enough to delete these posts from the archives out of
>> respect and block this person from Frameworks, but as a young person first
>> entering the experimental film community (it was my first post on
>> Frameworks), I was shaken.  Some people policed it and stood up for me
>> then, but Scott made it go away very quickly.  So yes, this happens in our
>> community, and yes, this happens on this listserv.  I wish it weren't the
>> case.

> --
> โ€œAs from when does somewhere become truly yours?โ€  -- Georges Perec
>
> Cecilia Dougherty
> http://www.ceciliadougherty.com
> http://inbetweentheories.com

Salise Hughes
Artist, Filmmaker, Armchair Anthropologist

http://salisehughes.blogspot.com
https://vimeo.com/user1421998