Good morning, everyone.

Paul Harrill and I are excited to share our third program for Big Ears, a
decade-old music and arts festival held each March in Knoxville, TN. Paul
and I are programming under the banner of The Public Cinema, our year-round
microcinema. In addition to our programming, the music side of the festival
will feature several video-related performances.

Best,
Darren Hughes

- - -

*Lewis Klahr: Visiting Artist*
http://www.publiccinema.org/klahr/

Big Ears will host Lewis Klahr and present a multi-program selection of his
films, including an installation at the UT Downtown Gallery, a program of
his short films, and a screening of his most recent feature, *Sixty Six*
(2015). Klahr has been making films since 1977 and is known for his
uniquely idiosyncratic films, which use found images and sound to explore
the intersection of memory and history.

- - -

*Stereo Visions: A Survey of 3D Cinema*
*Curated in collaboration with Blake Williams*
http://www.publiccinema.org/stereo/

In its ten programs, *Stereo Visions *encompasses and demonstrates the full
visual and affective capacities of our favorite on-again/off-again format.
>From Norman *McLaren* to Johnny *Knoxville*, Ken *Jacobs* to Alfred
*Hitchcock*, Lillian M. *Schwartz* to Jodie *Mack*, the filmmakers
showcased here have been unpacking the creative potential of 3D
image-making for decades, with each representing unique incarnations,
moments, and impulses.

- - -

*A Sense of Place: A Retrospective of American Regional Cinema, 1960-1989*
http://www.publiccinema.org/place/

Collecting ten films made over a thirty-year span, this retrospective
surveys groundbreaking films by artists living and working outside the
commercial film production centers of Los Angeles and New York.  Featured
filmmakers includes major auteurs like Pittsburgh’s George A. * Romero*,
Baltimore’s John *Waters*, Austin's Richard *Linklater*, and Portland’s *Gus
Van Sant*. Also included are genre films with a deep sense of place
like Victor *Nunez*’s *A Flash of Green*, formally adventurous works
like Trent *Harris*’s *The Beaver Trilogy*, and seminal films like Eagle
*Pennell*’s *The Whole Shootin’ Match*.

- - -

*Canyon Cinema 50*
*Curated by David Dinnell*
http://www.publiccinema.org/cc50/

In celebration of 50 years since CANYON CINEMA’s incorporation we will
present three shorts programs – 36 films running 270 minutes. Canyon
Cinema’s unique collection of artist-made films traces the vital history of
the experimental and avant-garde filmmaking movements from 1921 to the
present. The Canyon Cinema programs will be presented in 16mm and will be
free and open to the public at the Knoxville Museum of Art.

- - -

Here's our full lineup: http://www.publiccinema.org/bigears/

More info about Big Ears, including the full (and amazing) music lineup:
http://www.bigearsfestival.com