Warhol and Michael Snow

Gene & Jane Youngblood
(505) 395-6370 home

On March 8, 2018 at 4:55:15 PM, jimmyschaus1 . (jimmysch...@gmail.com) wrote:

Singling out long takes in a forum dedicated to experimental film is shooting
fish in a barrel!  So I'll dive in with the more idiosyncratic part of the
inquiry, photography/still images.  Two wonderful things I've seen recently
entirely comprised of still photographic images "moving", and directly engage a
sense of bemusement in finding the line between stasis and motion, are Abbas
Kiarostami's 24 Frames and Jon Jost's Mountains as Mountains, which you can
watch here.

shamelessly, my video Rocking Horses  (password=rocking, clever I know)

stasis classics: Chris Marker's La Jetee and Raul Ruiz's Dogs Dialog.

Apitchatpong Weerasathakul is a master of long takes, and in Uncle Boonme...
you get two-for-one, as, if I recall, there's a lovely sequence of still
photographs of Thai soldiers around the halfway mark.

Pedro Costa's films are filled with long takes, and the opening of Horse Money
is an incredible procession of Jacob Riis depression-era photos.

Tsai Ming-Liang, and if you're really looking for parts that emphasize
stillness and the weight of time, there's a 20 minute uninterrupted shot
towards the end of Stray Dogs that's really something else.

And yeah, James Benning, Sharon Lockhart, and some Ben Russell on the more
experimental/non-narrative side of things.