Dear Christopher,

Tony arrived in Buffalo in 1976 as Visiting Faculty at UB; Julius Eastman left
UB circa 1975.

I was part of the video arts community in Buffalo in the last 1980s/early
1990s, working with Tony and many others and serving, for a bit, as the Video
Curator at Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center. As far as I know, few friends
from that community interacted with - or even knew - Julius. Neil Zusman is one
exception - he has a great story of lending Julius a suit jacket for a court
appearance. While it is certainly possible that Julius and Tony knew each
other, Tony was immersed in video art production during this era, rather than
music  - making his own great video artworks, working collaboratively with
various local video collectives and creating on his own public access (Studio
of the Streets) and educational access projects (Buffalo Learning Television).
I am not sure how much he actually interacted with the folks around UB’s Music
Dept during this time (Media Studies and Music were on separate campuses at the
time - more than geography seemed to separate them).

But…there still might be a story to be told….

Best,

Laura