Here’s an answer from Ben Wigley to the Labos list in response to a very
similar question.  (I’m only bouncing this—haven’t tried it myself.)

_____

In this book about Anthotypes -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anthotypes-Explore-darkroom-garden-photographs/dp/1466261005
they apply the emulsion with a brush or a sponge as it applies a much thicker
emulsion - to greater effect, than dipping….
perhaps you could try taping to a surface and applying with sponge/brush and
then you wouldn’t get it on the back of the film? You could also wait for a
coat to dry and apply more?

I’m guessing you would need a very long exposure for this technique

This is what a friend of mine emailed me when I asked him - not sure if it
helps:

'

"A gel is required for a carrier if the film is bare plastic: Gelatine, Agar
Subcoat with chrome alum hardened gelatine or agar, overcoat with cyanotype in
gelatine. There may be an issue with the heat of molten gelatine (agar is worse
as it requires a higher temperature) curing off the cyanotype reagent (turning
it blue). Cool gelatine to as close to the gelling point as possible before
adding cyanotype sensitiser. May need to use a restrainer - few drops of 10%
sodium chlorate per 20ml cyanotype reagent - this will also increase contrast,
and lower sensitivity.

OR you can overcoat the fixed film with gel / cyanotype emulsion

If you use fixed out print film - When fixing film do not use a hardening
fixer, plain hypo is fine.

Under red light soak the fixed, washed in deionised water and dried film in a
strong solution of cyanotype ? double strength? with a trace of wetting agent,
like Photo flo,

Remember the volume of cyanotype solution soaking into the gelatine film layer
is minute and will appear to run off the film

then drain and dry, remove adhering spots of water on the film surface with a
tissue. When dry load film into camera under subdued or red light. Remember
cyanotype sensitivity is very low much less than 1ASA, so single shot time
exposures will be required for each frame - determine exposure by trial and
error.

There is still some fine detail I’m not describing, but I’ve never done this on
film before.”

On Jul 26, 2018, at 2:45 PM, Devon D