Definitely not a lab effect.

In the sixties, when fisheye lenses were a craze, those with no money for a
real fisheye used a trick from Popular Photography.  You’d take a little
peephole viewer (like you find in apartment building doors) and mount it to a
lens cap that you’ve drilled a hole in.  Looks like that to me.

I don’t see the small black center hole in your photos, so I can’t comment on
that.

Jeff “projected a Bob Nelson retrospective in Chicago in ’72 and met Tom
Palazzolo because of it” Kreines

> On Oct 29, 2018, at 4:22 PM, Eric Theise <ericthe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I attended PFA's screening of Luminous Procuress a few weeks back
> (https://bampfa.org/event/out-vault-luminous-procuress
> <https://bampfa.org/event/out-vault-luminous-procuress>) and was startled to
> see an effect I've only ever associated with Robert Nelson's Bleu Shut. There
> are at least two sections in Nelson's film – one where a group of people are
> repeatedly sticking their tongues out, one where a man is teetering around on
> a child's (bi-? tri-?) cycle before toppling into a large puddle of water,
> both in slow motion – where there's a kind of fisheye view with a small, very
> black hole at the center of the disk. Curator Emeritus Steve Seid thought it
> was a lab effect but I'm curious if any of you know how it was made, what the
> effect is called, and if you know of any other films that use it.
>
> <image.png>
> <image.png>
>
> Grateful to Albert and the "clock" thread for reminding me to ask.
>
> Eric

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
j...@kinetta.com