There was a 165° fisheye lens (Pacific Optical 3.45mm) for gun or cockpit
cameras that produced a circular image like that and would jibe with the
military surplus origin. One of the samples I have (and some others I’ve seen)
has a small hole/divot dead centre in the front element. Definitely
factory-drilled, and I’m guessing to provide a reference or alignment mark on
the footage.