Lent is coming "like a freight train", my husband always likes to say. For us
Orthodox Christians, it begins tomorrow night with Vespers and the annual
Rite of Forgiveness, in which every member of the church asks every other
member,
face-to-face, for forgiveness for any past offense or injury. Last year we
had 100 attend, and our deacon calculated that forgiveness was asked and
received 20,000 times. Forgiveness Vespers must be the second-most painful time
of
the year for the Devil (Pascha would come first).

This year Western and Eastern Christians will have Easter / Pascha on the
same date, April 8. So we begin Lent together--Orthodox on Sunday night and
Western Christians a few days later on "Ash Wednesday," Feb 21.

Let me recommend for your Lenten reading my most recent book, "First Fruits
of Prayer." It presents the "Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete," a long,
penitential hymn written about AD 720. In this hymn, St. Andrew goes through
the
Old Testament in close detail, and the New Testament more briskly, casting
light
on his own soul. He examines the people and events of the Bible and asks
himself "How am I like this?" and "Do I do this?" It combines a fierce
commitment
to raw honesty with abounding gratitude for God's unmerited love. It's a work
that offers no false consolation, but which goes to the heart, and treats sin
as a self-inflicted wound that the Only Lover of Mankind came to heal.

(If you'd like to hear this work in the context of worship, many Orthodox
churches will offer it during Lent; a common practice is to divide it into 4
sections for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of this coming week, and
then repeat the hymn in entirety during the 5th week of Lent. But variations
abound, so "check local listings.")

I divided the Great Canon into 40 readings, and for each day I supply the
Scriptures cited (hundreds of them; St. Andrew had an amazing knowledge of
Scripture) and a brief meditation. It's an ideal companion for Lenten
reflection.

You can find it here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Fruits-Prayer-Forty-Day-Journey/dp/1557254699/sr=8
-1/qid=1171735409/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8527848-6830546?ie=UTF8&s=books

and we also offer autographed copies through my church's website:

http://www.holycrossonline.org/our_parish/bookstore/

You can also get there a glimpse of my forthcoming book, "The Lost Gospel of
Mary: The Mother of Jesus in Three Ancient Texts." This one will be published
March 25. On my website there is a bit more info about this book, and an
excerpt from it. But I'll send out that info later--trying to do things one at
time!

Please forgive me, brothers and sisters, for any way I have offended you.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com