I got to see "Wall-E" on Monday night with daughter Megan and grandson Adam,
and teenaged neighbor Laura, and I think we all drove home feeling kind of
mixed. Artistically, it's beautiful. I think it's thin in the story
department. Kind of like "Cars," it's really good compared to most animated
features, but you expect something really original and astounding from
Pixar. A victim of their own high standards & previous achievement. My
review is not up at www.nationalreview.com yet but should be soon. I don't
know how Excellent Editor KLopez improved the piece, but here is the
original I turned in--here's the link to my site, and the text is pasted in,
below.

Frederica.com: WALL-E <http://www.frederica.com/writings/wall-e.html>

Also, I was in Raleigh NC this past weekend speaking at the Antiochian
Diocese of the Southeast Parish Life Conference; was interviewed by the
local paper, and here's the link:

FMG in the Raleigh News &
Observer<http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/1121943.html>

When a reporter quotes me accurately, I sound so choppy! I write in long
sentences but speak in short ones. (I think that's a pattern for everyone,
actually).

The podcast this week is an interview with a representative of Birthright
(pregnancy support organization) in Ghana; I met here earlier in June, when
I was speaking at their annual conference:

Podcast: Birthright of
Ghana<http://audio.ancientfaith.com/frederica/fhn_2008-06-25.mp3>

I forgot to send last week's--an interview with Sdn Robert Miclean, about
his outreach ministry to college students in Annapolis, at the naval academy
and St. John's College:

Podcast: Orthodox College
Ministry<http://audio.ancientfaith.com/frederica/fhn_2008-06-18.mp3>

***

and here's the WAll-E review:

I can just tell that this is going to be one of those reviews where the
hardest part is coming up with the first sentence. What's the main thing to
say about *WALL-E*, the latest offering from that most excellent animation
studio, Pixar? That it's surprisingly, delicately, effectively, poignant?
That, for that reason, younger children may not quite get it? That the
Wall-E character is genuinely charming, and his originality has not been
siphoned off by ET <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083866/> or Short
Circuit<http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0013804/>'s
Johnny 5? That the film succeeds in making an ecological statement without
being annoying? That, despite all those worthy elements, there's just
something missing—a plot, perhaps?

Since the last is the most serious charge, I'll deal with it first. The
backstory is that the earth had reached a point of such environmental
instability that the entire population was evacuated so a cleanup could be
launched. The earthlings were ushered onto a fleet of classy outer-space
cruise ships (the mother-ship is named the Axiom), where all needs were met
and all amusements provided. (The global corporation whose logo appears on
every object in both earth and space is named Buy N Large; check out the
phony website at BuyNLarge.com <http://www.buynlarge.com/>. And don't miss
the Privacy Policy at the bottom of the page.) Meanwhile, back on earth, a
crew of clean-up robots (Waste Allocation Load Lifters – Earth Class, that
is, WALL-E), was given the task of returning this planet to livability.

But what was expected to be a five-year hiatus has now stretched to seven
centuries. Only one WALL-E is still operating, diligently turning trash into
cubes and stacking the cubes into towers. Then a sleek modern robot shows
up, sent by the mother-ship to search for signs of earthly life. (Her kind
of robot is called EVE, and she looks like a handy combination of penguin,
iPod, and egg.) When she encounters a slip of plant life, the now-ancient
computer program clicks on to deliver the specimen to the spaceship, and
return the humans to earth. But will they ever make it?

And that's about the extent of it, oddly enough, since Pixar has given us
such original stories as
Ratatouille<http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0382932/>(2007) and The
Incredibles <http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0317705/> (2004). There's a
longish (maybe too long) opening section in which we get to know Wall-E (are
his eyes maybe a little *too *pathetic? Like a kitten in an alley in the
rain?). And then there's a part involving chases and fights and narrow
escapes in and around the Axiom. Some kids might find the latter hard to
follow; I was not always clear on what Eve and Wall-E were trying to get
into or out of or why.

It's a cliché to say of a beautiful-but-thin production that "you come out
humming the sets," but *WALL-E*'s greatest strength is visual. The film
begins masterfully, as we approach earth from space, and are surprised to
pass through a layer of junk and debris. At the same time we begin to hear a
jaunty tune that sounds like it came from an old Broadway musical, a male
chorus repeating exhortations to "put on your Sunday clothes" and "get out
the Brilliantine and dime cigars." The music is coming from Wall-e's
built-in recorder, and is a clip from a videotape of "Hello Dolly" that he
had found. "And we won't come home until we've kissed a girl!" the chorus
proclaims, as the solitary robot continues his endless task. The animators
have rendered this landscape as realistically as they can, and it (and
Wall-e himself) is rusty, dinged, and gray. The contrast is already
wrenching, and the movie's only minutes old.

Another affecting passage shows us how Wall-e cares for Eve after she
encounters the bit of vegetation. Her programming apparently requires her to
immediately take it and go into hibernation mode, so for a time she appears
essentially comatose, with only the blinking green leafy symbol on her chest
to indicate the life within. Yet Wall-e still dotes on her, takes her with
him everywhere, and even decorates her with Christmas lights for a special
evening out. If you've ever seen an elderly couple out for dinner, and one
spouse caring for another with Alzheimer's, you know how touching and
beautiful this valiant love can be. And when Wall-e and Eve arrive at the
Axiom, her still-motionless form is whisked about on a gurney, yet Wall-e
desperately tries to cling to her, like an expectant dad in a maternity
hospital. (It's not for nothing, I expect, that she is named Eve, who was
"the mother of all living" according to Genesis 3:20. And the white robot's
searching the earth for a sign of life, and returning with a bit of leafy
green, recalls Noah's dove in Genesis 8:8-12).

But the story never does develop much, nor do the characters. An opportunity
is given when Wall-e and Eve bust out of the Axiom's "Repair Ward" with a
cohort of malfunctioning robots (most memorably, a beach umbrella given to
dramatic self-inversions). I was afraid each would then become, predictably,
a distinct character who learns that his apparent disability is actually a
strength, but the oddball robots get only a brief playtime. And there are a
human man and woman, Mary and John, who break out of the hypnotic
computer-controlled environment and exchange a few lines, but are likewise
whisked to the margins.

Apart from Wall-e and Eve, the most interesting character is the skipper of
the Axiom, Captain McCrea. Portraits of the vessel's previous captains line
the walls of his cabin, and reveal that the human race has been becoming
increasingly obese, soft, and babylike. Captain McCrea can't get into his
uniform jacket, but wears it buttoned over the shoulders of his stretchy
soft unitard, the garment worn by everyone on the spaceship. Contented
humans have nothing to do but ride along in hoverchairs, gazing at personal
video screens that serve all their entertainment and communication needs.
They eat continually, sucking food from plastic cups through beverage straws
(advertisements blare, "Lunch in a cup!" "Cupcake in a cup!"). They are
barraged by commercials urging them to buy more, eat more, and hop on the
latest fad. "Try blue! It's the new red!" a voice announces, and instantly
all the unitards turn blue. A cheery recorded voice calls out, "Consume
again soon!"

But Captain McCrea is intrigued by the possibility that vegetable life is
sprouting on earth, and  begins to overcome his bloated passivity. He asks
his computer to define terms like "dancing," "farms," and even "hoe down,"
and views the images with increasing wonder. He is entranced with earth's
fertility and beauty, and begins to think it could be possible to return and
inhabit the earth once more, planting "vegetable seeds and pizza seeds."
This dream is opposed by the ship's auto-pilot, a
HAL<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000>-like
device called Auto (Otto?), which has a single glowing red eye. Their
struggle for power supplies the closing conflict of the movie.

The conflict is somewhat ambiguous, though, because Auto has a pretty good
argument on his side. The captain's naivete and ignorance would seem to make
a return to earth disastrous. We're given the further detail that centuries
of reduced gravity have caused the human skeleton to become smaller and
weaker; Captain McCrea's feet and hands are little more than pudgy blobs.
How could such people live on earth, with this overwhelming task ahead of
them, no expertise in doing it, and their very skeletons cannot support them
to stand? If McCrea wins, won't it just lead to tragedy?

Well, it's only a movie, of course. But I'll urge you to stay for the
closing credits, because they offer a resolution to that question that is
not just ingenious but satisfying, as well as moving. *WALL-E* isn't like
the other Pixar movies, and it's not at all what I was expecting. I don't
know if this will be the hit with children that the other movies were, but
it's the kind of movie that grownups will want to watch more than once.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com