On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Ben Finney
<ben+freesoftw...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> Where can I get satisfaction here? I need some or all of these
> functions:
>
> * a machine to act as ADSL + wireless router and DNS + DHCP + HTTP proxy
> * a machine to act as grunty software development workstation
> * a machine to act as thin desktop client
> * a machine to act as home theatre for video & audio
>
> It's not 2000 any more; even Debian now has an entirely free-software
> kernel. Now all I need is to know exactly what good-quality parts to buy
> to have the above functions. Surely I don't have to individually compile
> all these specifications myself?
Unfortunately, based on my experience, you will have to compile the specs.

Fortunately, its not 2000 any more: most of the components are
supported by kernel drivers - the "horror driver stories" mostly
pertains to "medieval ages" nowadays (even the laptops support a linux
installation out of the box).

When you decide to take the pain of spec-ing the computer(s) yourself,
I suggest you give www.msy.com.au a try. In the last 7 years, I
spec-ed the 5 computers I bought from them, they built them, performed
a 24h burn-test and offered 1 year warranty, all at a very reasonable
price. All the 5 supported a Linux without a problem.

Adrian

PS all the machines I had and have were in the "grunty software
development workstation" - not gaming, not 3D rendering, no
multimedia/home-theater  (except some MP3 thrown somewhere, to listen
to while coding).