Hi Alex, gang,

Thanks for documenting this. Good for us ex-Melbourneers!

- Promote the DRM-free sources -> we should compile (or find) a list.

For computer games, GOG (http://gog.com) and Humble Indie Bundle (
http://humblebundle.com) have done a great job promoting DRM-free gaming
and still making profits. Not free software, but I suppose you have to pick
your battles.

(I think still making profits is important -- it's all well and good to say
"things should be DRM-free!" but unless you can show profit, nobody is
going to take you seriously.)

- Talk to people who have been burnt (e.g. Ubisoft customers, who couldn't
> play their games for a week).

games.slashdot.org/story/12/02/03/1446207/thanks-to-drm-some-ubisoft-games-wont-work-next-week

Also, I was just talking to someone today who said something about Blu-ray
I don't think I knew: that if you buy a new disc and own an older player,
the disc may not work because the player's key may be untrustworthy so the
disc manufacturer used a new key. I think you can upgrade the firmware in
some players, but other players may be left out.

Apparently this sort of thing already happened in 2007:
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/10/new-blu-ray-discs-with-bd-drm-failing-to-play-on-some-devices.ars
But I didn't find any more recent examples.

Comment: when (if ;) copyright on a work expires, what happens to copies of
> it that are DRM-encumbered?

Yes, very important. There's a great article on this here (with regards to
software):
https://www.pcworld.com/article/248571/why_history_needs_software_piracy.html

>From the article:

> Thanks to widespread adoption of aggressive digital rights management
> (DRM) and a single-source model of distribution, most digitally distributed
> software will vanish from the historical record when those stores shut
> down. And believe me, they will shut down some day. If this doesn’t scare
> you, then you need an allegorical history lesson. Here it is:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria>Imagine if a
> publisher of 500,000 different printed book titles suddenly ceased
> operation and magically rendered all sold copies of its books unreadable.
> Poof. The information contained in them simply vanished. It would represent
> an cultural catastrophe on the order of the burning of the Great Library
> of Alexandria <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria> in 48
> B.C. In that fire, a majority of the Western world’s cultural history up to
> that point turned to ash.
>
> Now take a look at the iTunes App Store, a 500,000 app repository of
> digital culture. It’s controlled by a single company, and when it closes
> some day (or it stops supporting older apps, like Apple already did with
> the classic
> iPod<http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/30/apple_removes_ipod_classic_click_wheel_games_from_itunes_store.html>),
> legal access to those apps will vanish. Purchased apps locked on iDevices
> will meet their doom when those gadgets stop working, as they are prone to
> do. Even before then, older apps will fade away as developers decline to
> pay the $100 a year required to keep their wares listed in the store.

Woh. I knew Apple charged $100 for a developer license. I didn't realise
Apple made you pay $100 *every year* in order to keep your software listed.
Is this true?

Wow, it is true<https://developer.apple.com/support/ios/program-renewals.html>
.

So anyway, should be able to mine that article for some good arguments and
examples against DRM.

Hope this helps.

Matt (Sydney)