On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM, George Patterson
<george.patter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 May 2012 18:59, Adrian Colomitchi <acolomit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> See: http://wiki.freesoftware.asn.au/AustralianFreeSoftwareProjects -
>> not that many IMHO.
>>

> You would need to identify why the list is so short first. How many
> Australia open source software authors know about it
I don't know how many. By the number of entries, I suspect not too many of them.
Which leads me to think that the "FOSS national identity" is a topic
that worth discussing:
- if deemed important, probably we would see more efforts to create
awareness of the list existence
- if deemed not (so) important, the fact the list is short is not a problem.

> and if they do, why isn't it listed there?
Well, the way I see: it's a *Wiki*, so if they know about it it should
be easy to add their projects.
I don't know if adding/editing that page is restricted, I suspect it is not

> A promising big one is the Serval project http://www.servalproject.org/
> A short run down, it's a application that allows phone calls  to be
> made (or even sending text messages) via mesh networking where theres
> limited infrastructure. Think after a natural disater and the phone
> exchange has water flowing through it. If you spot something that
> needs attention such as a broken pipeline or landslide, you can upload
> the photo to the "Rhizome" and it will migrate via mesh connected
> phones untill it gets to someone to that can either address it or get
> a message to the outside world. The sender and receiver do not need to
> be online at the same time.
Sounds quite good.

> Serval is being developed at Flinders University.
Can you ask them to attempt adding the project to the list *if interested*?
Or, if you are a contributor yourself, can *you* try to add it?

Adrian