> Meanwhile although x86 PCs are expected to have the ability to disable
> secure boot MS have decreed that in order to be certified for Windows 8
> then ARM based systems *must not* have the ability to disable secure
> boot, thus completely blocking out all competitive platforms and
> ensuring a monopoly. With the huge growth in ARM based devices in recent
> years this is a disaster in progress.

I guess. I'm not *so* worried about the ARM situation because it only
applies to Microsoft ARM devices (currently a very small percentage of the
market), whereas Microsoft has a complete monopoly on x86 devices if you
take out Apple.

While there are a lot of new ARM devices coming out, Microsoft doesn't have
the market power to require all of them be locked down. (Of course, Apple
already requires all of their ARM devices be locked down as well -- IMHO
that's a bigger threat than Microsoft in the mobile space, and one that's
already been happening for many years.)