On 20/07/12 13:14, Ben Sturmfels wrote:

> There was some concern about the strong phrase "We commit that we will
> neither purchase nor recommend computers that strip users of this
> critical freedom", since it is foreseeable that someone could one day
> buy one of these devices either unknowingly or because there was no
> other alternative.

I think the concern was more about not knowing what the petition said;
the actual wording is:

# We, the undersigned, urge all computer makers implementing UEFI's
# so-called "Secure Boot" to do it in a way that allows free software
# operating systems to be installed. To respect user freedom and truly
# protect user security, manufacturers must either allow computer
# owners to disable the boot restrictions, or provide a sure-fire way
# for them to install and run a free software operating system of their
# choice. We commit that we will neither purchase nor recommend
# computers that strip users of this critical freedom, and we will
# actively urge people in our communities to avoid such jailed systems.

In other words we won't buy systems that are locked down in UEFI to only
boot a single OS (whatever that may be), and we will tell others that we
don't think buying such systems is a good idea. I think that's fairly
reasonable.

cheers,
Chris