On 12/08/13 15:49, Ben Finney wrote:
> Rather, the purpose of your signature is to say “I met this person,
> verified they are who they say they are, and this person tells me this
> is their email address and public key”.

I don't think of it that way; when I sign GPG keys, I am signing each
uid separately. Some uids contain an email address for that person, and
I'd like to know that the address is actually connected to them when I
sign it. Just as there might be another uid that is a photo, and signing
it means that I recognize the photo to be of that person.

> You're recording a historical fact, true for a point in time, not
> guaranteeing that any particular thing will work in future.

Yes, agreed. The signature binds information to a PGP key at a point in
time.

Glenn
--
sks-keyservers.net 0x6d656d65