On 21/06/2016 2:01 PM, Riley Baird wrote:
> Local councils are local government. They are created under the Local
> Government Act 1989. (The only place where I have seen the above
> argument is on a "sovereign citizen"-type website trying to argue that
> local government is unconstitutional. In any case, the courts do not
> recognise such a distinction, and neither should we.)

If that is true and actually legally correct, then why do they want to
bring in a constitutional change to "recognise local government".  It
isn't true and some would even argue that the Victorian state
legislation on this matter is illegal.

> I'm not sure how MS licensing works in detail, so hopefully someone
> else will have more information. But if, say, one of Council's offices
> has migrated to Linux and the rest of Council's offices are still stuck
> with MS, then surely the Linux users would be excluded from the count?

That would depend on whether or not they have a need to use remote
desktop services; any that do, then there is a requirement that they be
included as MS Office users.... typically, not sure how to legally get
around that problem other than to declare those users unable to use MS
Office, but that might not be enough; simply the fact that they connect
to a Windows Server might be enough to screw you over on license.

Kind Regards
AndrewM