On 2017-04-21 06:57, Ben Finney wrote:

> * Credit card fraud and VPN use
>
> How much truth is there to the claim that a connection over VPN is prone
> to fraudulent credit card use? I can't see how that affects the ability
> to defraud the credit card system of an online ship.

Part of the problem here is how poor the security is on Internet credit
card transactions. All you have to do is place a transaction, and after
the goods have been shipped dispute it with the credit card company (I
lost my card!). Then the retailer has to try and prove that the
transaction was genuine (they can't). AFAIK If the retailer fails to
prove that the transaction was authorised by the cardholder, then they
have lost the goods (already shipped), have to repay the amount they
received from the bank, they could also get extra (large) bank fees to
pay for the fraudulent transaction, and it could upset their credit
rating (and hence fee structure) with the bank (the exact details varies
depending on the agreement they have with the bank to process credit
card transactions).

If only there was a secure way of paying for goods over the internet.
*cough* bitcoin *cough*.

I am not sure if there is any truth in the claim that VPNs attract
fraudulent credit card. Just as easy to get away with credit card fraud
without a VPN I think. Maybe might be more risky however with the data
retention laws - "I can clearly see from your leaked data logs that you
did connect to our website at the time the purchase was made!"