Actually, the freeamp architecture allows for multiple UIs.  So, the IRman
doesn't control the 'freeamp.ui' or the 'lcd.ui', it actually controls the
'Player' object which is the core of the player.

The concept of a UI is a plugin which takes inputs and gives output.  So, the
'freeamp.ui' is an X11 UI written with GTK which implements themeing.

The LCD ui is a UI which happens to not take any user input (but, could easily
be made to do so) but just displays information about whats going on in the
Player object to a LCD screen.

Accordingly, the IRman UI is a freeamp user interface plugin which happens to
not listen to any of the 'Heres whats going on' events from the player object.
It only issues commands to the player object.

FreeAmp also has the ability to have multiple UIs going at the same time.  For
instance, last time I checked, you could do:

freeamp -ui freeamp.ui -ui lcd.ui -ui irman.ui

and you'd have the cool themable GTK app pop up, you'd get output to the LCD
and you'd be able to control it through the IRman.

A really cool thing about that set up is that when you hit 'pause' on your
remote control the GTK themeable UI's pause button will grey out as if you
clicked on it with the mouse.

jason