so i did some reading up on stl strings and it appears they are copy on write. i do
not know if this is only for instances where you do this:

string foo, bar;

foo = "hello";
bar = foo;

and not for instances like this:

string foo, bar;

foo = hello;
bar = hello;

the results that isaac posted seem to indicate that the second case is copy on write
in which case the char store stuff won't save us any memory.... hmmmm.... need more
research to confirm/deny this theory.

elrod