Well I am continuing to dig and the short packets/frames are
unfortunately showing up in XingLMC::DecodeWork()... perhaps the
scariest looking routine (comment-free too) in the whole program.

If I had to take a preliminary guess, I'd say it's trying to play a
frame at a time (420 bytes or so) and sometimes it only grabs a
partial frame at a time.  Trying to play a null frame makes the sound
card angry.

Not only does this hose up the sound, but it takes longer to play
back, and the socket buffer fills up and the server kicks us off.

I'll continue to dig.

Mark