I modified the code in freeamp to do much improved RTP streaming over
the standard code about a year ago.  This code was packaged and released
under the name "MCTPlayer" available at http://www.mctplayer.com
I am providing the link for reference purposes only, however.

A much improved implementation for FreeAmp was written by Ross
Finlayson.  The code used his live.com library available at
http://www.live.com

To the best of my knowledge this code was never merged, though it added
SDP file support, RTSP support, various mp3 rtp transports, including
some FEC.

Ross was on this list, perhaps he can comment further.

Marty Schoch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>