The documentation is uhm, what's on intel's (growing) blog post and responses:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-performance-counter-monitor-a-better-way-to-measure-cpu-utilization

Yes, we can / should add clearer documentation. I had to also go
hunting in the source to figure some of it out.

FREQ/AFREQ is just the current clock cycle counters / clock reference
counter (TSC).

Ie, a freq or afreq of 1.0 means the clock cycle counters == TSC counter.

FREQ takes the sleep state into account (ie, only counts _running_
cycles.) AFREQ doesn't. So FREQ gives you a good indication of the
running duty cycle versus the ideal maximum, and AFREQ tells you what
frequency the core is running at versus the reference frequency. An
AFREQ of < 1.0 means that the chip is underclocking that core. An
AFREQ of > 1.0 means turboboost is on and it's overclocking that core.

-a