On 03/19/2015 04:10 AM, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:30:23 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>  > > On Mar 18, 2015, at 10:06 AM, Anthony Jenkins
> <anthony.b.jenk...@att.net> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > On 03/18/2015 11:29 AM, Warner Losh wrote:
>  > >>> On Mar 17, 2015, at 7:02 AM, Anthony Jenkins
> <anthony.b.jenk...@att.net> wrote:
>  > >>>> \Where else might ATRTC_VERBOSE be set otherwise?
>  > >>> I'm picturing a (future?) config(5) knob, e.g.
>  > >>>
>  > >>>   device atrtc
>  > >>>   options ATRTC_VERBOSE=1
>  > >>>
>  > >>>
>  > >>> so it can be set at compile time.
>  > >> Why not just boot verbose? history has shown too many options like
>  > >> this is hard to use.
>
> You can blame this on me :)  I agree about the option not being needed;
> the way it is you can just set sysctl hw.acpi.atrtc_verbose=0 to quell
> reports of successful access, if it turns out these are routine on some
> machines, especially outside of boot/suspend/resume contexts.
>
> However I'll still argue that, this being a new gadget and that we could
> use finding out which vendors want to read or write which locations in
> CMOS for whatever reason, at least while it's in head, we should log all
> access by default unless setting atrtc_verbose=0,

So the default verbosity of ACPI CMOS region accesses should be
"verbose"?  I personally don't mind the default being "silent" and
asking people triaging an ACPI problem to boot verbosely and send the
logs (I think that's in the FreeBSD ACPI handbook anyway).

> and in _any_ case we
> should be logging attempts to R/W out-of-bounds CMOS locations.

Error logs are always printed; they don't honor atrtc_verbose.

>  > > I think I understand what you're saying... I also prefer fewer config(5)
>  > > knobs.  So you're suggesting I determine (at runtime) the boot verbose
>  > > setting (kenv(2) or however it's properly done) and dump the
>  > > compile-time verbosity setting?
>  >
>  > if (bootverbose)
>  >    do verbose things;
>  >
>  > is how thatÿÿs done.
>
> Sure, and maybe successful access could be limited to bootverbose, and
> we could ask people whose boxes fail to boot/suspend/resume/whatever to
> boot verbose to reveal such as why Anthony's HP Envy either failed to
> suspend or immediately resumed - which isn't entirely clear, even with
> the messages - unless its ACPI AML succeeded in reading minute, hour and
> weekday, but I have a feeling we may see more of this sort of thing.

Now that I think about it, adding this ACPI CMOS region access should
simply eliminate a class of failures where FreeBSD wasn't giving the
BIOS access to CMOS.  Logging /successful/  R/W accesses to CMOS by the
BIOS (AML) won't really provide any useful info (IMHO), but the user can
flip on bootverbose if she's curious.  If a user's box fails to
boot/suspend/resume/whatever, we'll see any ACPI CMOS region access errors.

Anthony