Sorry about the mailing list chaos I'm creating, I hadn't subscribed and can't
yet recover the message id to correctly reply to my previous message.

I reproduced the problem again in order to transcribe the accurate error
message I'm getting, and noticed that this happens by simply plugging the usb
sound card, even without setting it as the default hw.snd.default_unit and
without opening any sound application at all.

In this case, instead of reading about which PID is still using the device, I
get an error regarding the in kernel oss mixer

PCM5: Waiting for sound application to exit!
PCM5: unregister: mixer busy