User Freebsd wrote:

> 'k, there are at least two "clients" already in existence ... and, in
> fact, the one that I posted the URL about even has Protocol information
> included, so we *should* be able to avoid recreating the wheel here,
> only extend it ...
>
> I should *not* be a mandatory ... then we're as bad as other companies
> that are into embedding 'spyware' ... it should be an opt-in sort of
> thing, but something that is included as part of the OS, just like
> ntpdate ... something a simple addition to /etc/rc.conf would enable,
> *or*, even have it enabled by default, but easy to *disable* ...

Why not make it part of the installer?
Present a screen at the end of the installation that briefly
explains the idea, and then let the user chose to view the
information about to be sent, refuse to send it or simply accept to
send it. This of course requires the machine to be connected during
the install, which is not a problem during ftp-installs but might be
a problem for users installing from cd.