Hello all:

I'm recently new to FreeBSD (former Linux user) and I would like to
share my thoughts in the matter.

(1)
I love *BSD, especially FreeBSD because of the way it is. I read the
handbook before installing it and my
first impressions with the installation process was fine. My biggest
problem was understanding the whole concept of
slices, partitions and the ports but once I got around that,
everything was fine. I have to admit that the installer is a little
bit confusing
at first but once you have done it 2 or 3 times it is very easy to use
and the handbook helps a lot. Also the FreeBSD
mailing lists is full of very nice and helpful people so that really
helped my move from Linux.
Note that my installation was very straight forward so maybe I did not
encounter enough situations to really provide an
accurate opinion on the matter.

(2)
I AGREE that FreeBSD needs to make it easier for new people to
FreeBSD. The reason why I believe that is because the more people
you have using FreeBSD the more feedback the project would get. At the
same time I don't think this effort should come from the core
developers. I think the core developers should concentrate on building
a base system that is stable, secure etc. and then have something
on top of that done by someone else. In other words, provide the
possibility for different type of installers to be built that target
different
audience.

(3) I have a couple of questions so I could better understand the the
whole installer business.

--- How difficult it is to add a couple extra options to the menu that
you are offered when first installing FreeBSD
so that you can choose a particular installer?

--- Assuming this installers where done, how difficult would it be to
make it part of the installation medias (CD, USB, DVD etc).

--- How difficult it is to test an installer? (VirtualBox or some
other virtualization software comes to mind for testing).

--- What kind of knowledge is required/recommended to take on this task?

--- What kind of resources are there available to help with this task?

Feel free to ignore points 1 and 2 since I'm new to FreeBSD and I
probably should be getting involved in this sort of discussions but
any input on
point 3 would be highly appreciated.

-r