Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 11:46:59PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > I agree with the other person's thoughts that FreeBSD fixes uncommited
> > for years destroys incentive to file more fixes.
>
> I do not know anyone who disagrees with this.
>
> The issue is how to get people involved with this utterly thankless task.
>
> And, even if the backlog were to suddenly disappear, we still get more
> PRs per day than we can effectively handle.
>
> One person is not going to be enough to fix this -- and I know, because
> in the past, I've tried being that one person.
>
> > If so, it would be nice if FreeBSD Foundation got a refund for CoC
> > & spent it on a a student janitor to clear up years old send-pr's.
>
> There is a false equivalence here, that time spent on the CoC somehow
> took time away from working on PRs.  I don't detect much overlap between
> the people that work on the one, vs. the other.
>
> mcl

Yes, little overlap in skill sets, just money. A non tech paid for
the easy job of writing a CoC couldn't do send-pr clearance, though
many a FreeBSD user could write a CoC unpaid, without the bad bits.

Send-pr clearance is much larger, harder, unattractive compared to text or
code creation.  Commercial companies get unattractive jobs done using Money.
FreeBSD Foundation won't have enough money for much send-pr (esp.  if things
like CoC are paid, increasing costs and reducing contributions).

The Foundation could treat each send-pr cleared like a lottery ticket:
each month some randomised bug clearers would get an unexpected bonus.
Bonus winners advertised monthly on FreeBSD media, encouraging more bug
clearance & more donations to fund it.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich
 Brexit Referendum stole 3,700,000 votes, inc. 700,000 from British in EU.